Saturday, January 9, 2016

The Amazing Joni Eareckson Tada

January 28, 2014

Talking about growth mindset, Joni Eareckson Tada came to mind. This amazing woman became a quadriplegic (paralyzed from the neck down) at age 17 after a diving accident in 1967. Not only has she learned to paint with a brush between her teeth, Joni has authored best-selling books, and founded Joni and Friends to extend the love and message of Christ by meeting the physical, emotional, and spiritual needs of people who are affected by disability.

I have had the honor of listening to Joni in person twice. The first time at BASS convention years ago, the second time at KFAX 1st Annual San Francisco Bay Area "Women in Ministry" Luncheon on May 21st, 2013. She talked about surviving cancer, her marriage with husband Ken Tada, and hope!

Joni has been singing and worshipping God from a wheelchair for more than 47 years. The latest news is that her song Alone, Yet Not Alone was nominated for an Oscar in the category of Best Original Song. Recently Joni shared these perspectives:

"When I heard the simple, melodic ballad, I wanted to record it. I really resonated with the words -- after all, I sit down in a stand-up world and often feel alone; but of course with my faith in God, I'm never really alone!"

"When I'm asked about my performance, I usually say, 'The God of the Bible loves doing things like this. He delights in picking the ill-equipped, untrained, and non-professional to get a job done, so that the whole world will know that God has done it, not man.' Please ask the Lord to keep giving me His words and wisdom, and that I might represent Him well as I point people to the Bible."

Please listen to the song on Youtube and let me know how you feel and what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment