Sunday, January 10, 2016

Do You Have Trust Issues?

April 28, 2015

I still remember the trip we took recently to Jenner north of Bodega Bay!

Traveling on that part of Highway 1 (one) was some experience. On our way home, I was on the side looking down the cliff. Of course I was scared, but I was able to trust James' driving and trust God's protection.
James and I would not be able to enjoy the beautiful scenery if we believed it was not safe out there. That adventurous road ride reminded me of ups and downs in life involving trust. Have you experienced pain of betrayal directly or indirectly?

"Even my close friend, someone I trusted, one who shared my bread, has turned against me." (Psalm 41:9)

There were times that I could not trust anyone for my life. Praise the Lord that now I can share my joy and hope with others (more readily). How about you? Will you take the quiz  Do You Have Trust Issues?

Trust comes in different levels and flavors for everyone. For example, one person may completely trust family members, while those may be the last people that another individual is willing to open up to.

It can be difficult to trust if you've been hurt—as a child, in a romantic relationship or in a situation that seemed "out of the blue." Rejection, betrayal or abuse are never easy to deal with.

But sometimes we build such a strong wall around ourselves that we miss opportunities to develop wonderful, healthy and lasting relationships with loved ones, friends and colleagues. Answer true or false to the statements below to discover what role mistrust may be playing in your life.

1. I keep my problems to myself.

2. I don't like to depend on others; they almost always let me down.

3. Revealing my weaknesses to a romantic partner is too risky.

4. I tend to expect the worst from people; that way, I won't be disappointed.

5. People are basically "in it" for themselves. There's no such thing as people doing things for others out of the goodness of their heart.

6. I don't rely on anyone other than myself.

7. I assume my loved one will cheat on me; that's why I have to stay observant.

8. I feel insecure in unknown situations.

9. I don't make promises or ask for them.

10. I've been betrayed before; there's no way I'm letting that happen again.

11. People and situations are never predictable, so it's important to keep my guard up.

12. When it comes to making things happen, I'm on my own; it's all up to me.

13. I know that I am the only one truly committed to my success in life or business.

14. Loyalty never lasts.

15. You might be able to trust people when times are good, but forget it when things become challenging.

16. When my partner isn't around, I feel anxious, worried, even paranoid.

17. When someone becomes interested in me, I feel suspicious.

18. There's no one with whom I feel I can completely be myself.

If you answered true to five or more of the statements, you may want to explore your concerns around trusting others. Remember: trust must be earned. But if you don't give others a chance to earn that trust, you may be missing out on fulfilling relationships and a more supported life.

Are you living in fear or by faith? It might be a good time to find out what you are afraid of and where that story came from.

When you read, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6), how do you feel?

Scared? Chances are if you cannot trust people, it could be hard to trust God at the gut level.
Author's content used with permission, © Claire Communications

No comments:

Post a Comment