Saturday, October 1, 2016

Let Them Know You Care!

What did you do when you heard news like the recent bombing in New York and the train crash in New Jersey? For many of us, we called or texted our loved ones who live or work around there, and we prayed and waited.

I remember one late night prayer request from a sister in our care group:

“So and so just called. Her mother is in ER now and … not breathing. She is crying … just ask us to pray for her.”

My heart sank. I was physically exhausted and needed to go to bed, and I had a few long days ahead. What could I do? Pray!

Moments later, there was a message from the sister herself, “Thanks for your prayer. Here is updated info of my mother ... ICU … I will trust in Lord totally … Peace be with us!”

I gave thanks to God and sent a short note. Another sister wrote, “May I go to the hospital to see you and your mom tomorrow” and to the rest of us, “Dear Sisters, Can any one of you come with me tomorrow to the hospital to see her and her mom? … In the mean time, let all of our prayers to be with her and we pray that her mom is in God’s perfect protection.”

I felt disappointed that I could not visit the hospital, but I was comforted by our community of believers caring for one another. I'm grateful for the Body of Christ.



"Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ. For we were all baptized by one Spirit so as to form one body ... so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it. Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it..." (1 Corinthians 12:12-31)

My faith journey started when I met Jesus, my Savior and Lord in early 1989. We all have challenges, struggles and crisis in life. Knowing there is a God who loves and cares has given me daily comfort and hope to go on. It's hard to believe that an engineer turned manager would become a Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist and a pastor's wife.

I was often asked about how I became a counselor. It all started when I realized that God has called all His children to help and guide someone, one person at a time, that He has placed into our path. In my case, I started with my own family and young people in our church. How about you?

If you or someone you know want to gain awareness, knowledge and skills in "Caring and Counseling", please join me at an upcoming course on two Saturdays (October 15th and 22nd) at Christian Witness Theological Seminary. No prior experience is required. All you need to bring is a heart to love, to learn and to serve. If you are busy and cannot come, please pray for the students and me.

This course is only two weeks away so please click on the flyer at my Chinese blog HERE and register via the provided link at the bottom of that page.  See you at CWTS!

No comments:

Post a Comment